When you’re pregnant, it’s easy to be overwhelmed by the list of things that could potentially harm your baby. Sushi, wine, jacuzzis , hot yoga, roller coasters, to name a few of my favorites. Some of those luxuries are easy to put off for 9 months, but what about your daily skin care routine? That can be harder to adjust. Scientists have discovered a number of chemicals commonly found in our daily products could be potentially harmful. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to know exactly how much of these dangerous ingredients are passed on to your tiny babe. In my past pregnancies I’ve avoided the big ones, Retinol, Salicylic Acid, Beta Hydroxy, but this time around I’ve also been trying to eliminate Parabens, Phthalates and Sulfates as well. Since pregnancy is often a time when your skin could use some extra help, this is not always easy. I also needed products that were easily accessible (these are all found on Amazon, Target, or Sephora) and did not max out my credit cards. Here is a list of some of my favorites that I’ve turned to throughout the past 30 weeks. I am somewhat of a brand loyalist so you will notice some repeats from a few of my most trusted companies.
- Zoe Organics Belly Oil I can’t say enough about this amazing company that is so dedicated to giving moms natural, toxin free alternatives for their daily products. I’m a firm believer in using a belly oil every day to make your skin feel softer as it grows and to help prevent and treat those dreaded stretch marks. This oil is waterless and certified organic and also has ingredients to build elasticity in your skin after the baby is born to help put everything back together.
- Zoe Organics Belly Butter This waterless organic shea butter is a thicker formula that moisturizes as you grow and promotes the collagen necessary for strong, elastic skin throughout your pregnancy. I like to use this at night before bed, and use the lighter belly oil in the morning after I shower. This belly deserves some love!
- Shea Moisture Intense Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner Finding a more natural shampoo and conditioner with no Parabens, Sulfates, or Mineral Oils was probably the most difficult. Before I found Shea Moisture, all the other natural products I tried failed to make my hair feel ACTUALLY clean or the conditioner didn’t moisturize enough and left my hair in tangles feeling like straw. I actually discovered the Shea Moisture line of products when a mama friend recommended the baby lotion for the kiddos. I’ve since fallen in love with everything they sell. It doesn’t hurt that they all smell amazing!
- Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Mafura Oil Body Wash With similar ingredients to their Shampoo and Conditioner, this body wash smells incredible and leaves your skin soft and glowing. As an added bonus this you can grab this line at your local Target during any one of your weekly stops.
- Belli Anti Blemish Facial Wash Belli is another company that is solely dedicated to providing safe skincare to mamas and their tiny babes. Their extensive scientific research into potentially harmful skincare ingredients has led them to a product line that is trustworthy yet effective. Throughout my first trimester in all three of my pregnancies, I experienced some major skin breakouts. It was not pretty. This facial wash that uses lactic acid worked miracles every time. Once my skin and hormones calmed down, this product left my face a little too dry (a common issue for me), but during the tough times it was a lifesaver. Belli also makes an amazing acne spot treatment for specific problem areas.
- Koh Gen Do Spa Water Koh Gen Do is a Japanese skin care and makeup company that uses traditional Asian botanicals and homeopathy. Formulated with mineral-rich water from the Yumura Hot Springs in Izumo, Japan, and a handful of natural extracts, this spa water is a miracle makeup remover. At the end of a long day when all you want to do is get that belly into bed, the last thing you want to find time for is an extensive daily skin regimen. This spa water does it all. I love their makeup foundation and moisturizing gel as well.
- Koh Gen Do Soft Grommage Spa Gel This spa exfoliating gel uses all natural ingredients to exfoliate your skin and promote cell rejuvenation. I swear when I use this my skin feels as though I’ve just had a full service facial. And although I love a good trip to the facialist, I often find it hard to justify the time and the expense, especially when I’m pregnant. This gel from Koh Gen Do is Paraben, Sulfate, Phthalates and fragrance free so you can have bright, glowing skin whenever you want without the risks of harsh chemicals and abrasive ingredients.